Saturday, January 31, 2015

Essential oils + School + Latin





Howdy folks. This post will be somewhat of a mash-up. But all the topics lead to the subject of school--so that seems like a good place to start!

As most of y'all probably know, I am a college student. I am taking microbiology and anatomy and physiology 2 this semester, and if you know anything about those classes, you know you're not supposed to take them at the same time. Oh well, some have called me crazy but those are the only two classes left that I need.

Point is, I have been having to study like crazy...like 5-7 hours a day just to keep up. I was getting AWFUL head aches where I couldn't stay awake and had no energy.

Now I HATE taking medicine. I just prefer to let my body work off whatever is going on instead of putting synthetic material in my body. My head aches, however, were getting so bad I had to take way more ibuprofen than I was comfortable with.

My friend April let me try her essential oil called Past Tense by doTerra, and oh my goodness, my headache went away almost immediately! So this week I bought my own bottle and it has been doing wonders. It has a mint/cilantro aroma and can be rolled directly onto the forehead and base of the neck.

Now I can't tell you what is happening on a cellular level (I have been trying to find a Pub Med study to no avail) but I do know my head aches have been much better since using Past Tense. Myles HATES the smell (it is strong) but most people have told me they like it.

Now to completely change the subject, let's talk about Latin!

So for my microbiology class we have a quiz every week on vocab. This week we had 85 words to know (we only get tested on 10). It's a pain--but it's good for us to be doing it. Many of the words, however, have Latin roots or prefixes.

My mom taught us Latin for about 3 years in middle/high school. My 9th grade Biology teacher also made us learn Latin as part of the class. Now let me tell you, folks, I may have hated it back then, but I am SO glad I got that Latin back ground! Even though that was 6 years ago, the Latin I learned then is definitely helping me with some of my microbiology vocab. It also helped my with learning all the bones and muscles in the body last semester and when I took Spanish 1 and 2.

I would DEFINITELY recommend teaching your kids Latin, if you have the chance. It's just one of those things I don't think you could ever regret doing. So many words in the English language and any language for that matter have some Latin ties. So yeah, Latin for the win.


I hope you all have a great day! Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment